This initially ducal, then royal, and finally presidential residence dates back to the
13th century. The Royal Castle (Zamek Krolewski) became the seat of
legislative and executive power when the Polish capital was moved from Krakow to Warsaw
and had since been enlarged by a number of renowned architects. It was plundered and then
essentially destroyed during WWII but finally rebuilt in 1971-74. It serves today not
only as a museum, but as the site for representative functions. Its permanent exhibition
includes: the Courtier Rooms, Sejm Hall and Senate Hall (where the 3rd of May
Constitution was adopted in 1791), the Crown Prince Rooms, and the Royal Apartment.
Yearly, the museum also hosts court music concerts and theater performances.
4 Zamkowy Square
(22) 657 23 28
657 21 70
Tue to Sun: 10.00 to 16.00
(last visitor admitted at 15.00)
Free on Thursdays